In the spirit of everything Christmas, I thought I might share my favourite Christmas treat recipe – Fruit Mince Pies 🙂
• 2 ¼ cups plain flour
• ¾ cup ground almonds
• ¾ cup sugar
• 277 g butter
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 ½ table spoon water
• 2 x 410g jars fruit mince
• ¼ cup sweet condensed milk
• 400g marzipan
• 1 cup ground almonds
• ½ cup sweet condensed milk
• rolling pin
• 6 ½ cm fluted cutter
• electric mixer
• mixing spoon
• cutting knife
• cup and saucepan
• several mixing bowls
• 2 x large muffin tins
• 24 circles of baking paper (cut to size of base of muffin tin holes)
• Spray olive oil (better than canola as canola oil froths)
- Sift flour into a bowl, add almonds and sugar.
- Rub butter in.
- Add egg yolks and water.
- Mix to firm doe. Split into two halves to make it easier to work with.
- Roll pastry out onto lightly floured surface to 5mm thickness.
- Cut into rounds using 6 1/2cm fluted cutter.
- Spray muffin tins with olive oil and place circles of baking paper onto bottom of every muffin tin hole.
- Line large muffin pans with pastry.
- Mix together.
- Grind almonds in the mixer; chop marzipan into small blocks (with a little icing sugar).
- Combine marzipan, extra almonds, extra condensed milk and egg whites, mix until smooth, spoon onto fruit.
- Bake on 200* C (or 180* C if fan forced) for 15-20 min, till golden brown.
- Allow to cool before removing from pans (so they don’t fall apart), and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Makes 22 to 24 pies.